FBI Raids Homes After Two National Guard Members Shot Near the White House

FBI Raids Homes After Two National Guard Members Shot Near the White House

FBI Raids Homes After Two National Guard Members Shot Near the White House

FBI Raids Homes After Two National Guard Members Shot Near the White House

Federal investigators carried out multiple searches in Washington state and San Diego on Thursday as part of a terrorism-related investigation into an Afghan national accused of shooting two National Guard members near the White House. Both service members remain in critical condition.

    FBI Seizes Devices, Interviews Family Members

According to officials, FBI agents recovered several electronic devices—including cellphones, laptops, and tablets—from the suspect’s residence in Washington state. Investigators also spoke with family members as part of the ongoing probe.

FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed the developments during a press briefing in Washington, D.C.

U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro identified the injured Guard members as Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24.

     Details of the Shooting

According to Reuters Authorities say the suspect ambushed the Guard members while they were on patrol Wednesday afternoon near the White House. Armed with a **.357 Magnum revolver**, he allegedly shot one Guard member, then fired multiple rounds at the second.

Attorney General Pam Bondi told Fox News that federal prosecutors intend to pursue terrorism charges and will seek a life sentence if convicted. Additional charges filed so far include:

🔹Three counts of assault with intent to kill while armed

🔹One count of possessing a firearm during a violent crime

Officials noted that charges could be elevated to first-degree murder if either victim does not survive.

    Suspect Identified, Motive Still Unclear

Authorities identified the suspect as 29-year-old Rahmanullah Lakanwal a resident of Washington state who lived with his wife and five children. He was wounded during an exchange of gunfire before being arrested.

Investigators have not publicly identified a motive. Washington Metropolitan Police Executive Assistant Chief Jeff Carroll stated the suspect appeared to have acted alone.

Officials also confirmed that Lakanwal had previously worked with U.S. partner forces during the Afghanistan conflict.

    Background on the Suspect’s Entry to the U.S.

According to CNN The Department of Homeland Security said Lakanwal entered the United States in 2021 under Operation Allies Welcome a program created to resettle Afghans who supported U.S. operations and faced retaliation threats after the Taliban takeover.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe stated that Lakanwal had worked with CIA-supported local units in Afghanistan. Authorities believe he drove cross-country from Washington state to the nation’s capital prior to the attack.

A Trump administration official reported that Lakanwal applied for asylum in December 2024 and was approved in April 2025. He had no known criminal history.

Following the incident, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced a pause on processing immigration requests involving Afghan nationals pending a review of vetting procedures.

     Political Reaction

Former President Donald Trump released a video statement calling the shooting “an act of evil” and stated that his administration would re-evaluate all Afghan nationals admitted during President Biden’s term.

Vice President JD Vance also commented, saying the incident reinforced the administration’s focus on strict immigration enforcement.

Critics, however, argue that the administration’s policies have been overly harsh and have affected individuals with legal status or no criminal background.

     Impact on Security Operations

The two wounded National Guard members were part of a mission deployed to Washington, D.C., in August as part of the administration’s broader anti-crime and immigration efforts. In response to the shooting, an additional 500 troops were ordered to the capital, joining more than 2,000 already stationed there.

While the administration has credited the deployment with reducing crime, local law enforcement statistics have not supported that claim.